14 August 2007

The purpose of this blog

The start-up of this blog coincides with a major shift in my life's activities. It appears that I am basically moving from the world of full-time Torah study to full-time employment, with big responsibilities in my new position, should it prove to be a success. This blog may work as a pressure valve, an outlet for other things on my mind while I'm working.

The idea for this blog has been in the works for a long time, though, so its creation at this moment is not exactly haphazard.

I plan to talk about the following subjects primarily:

  • My life story, and how and why I converted to Judaism

  • All the Jewish and non-Jewish issues that came up in the process and all the entertaining anecdotes about them

  • Torah-related issues that might come up in my life (or elsewhere on the internet) that I would like to figure out

  • An ongoing limud of the subject of geirut itself, in hopes of understanding just how it works and what it means

  • Avodat middot that I feel it is necessary to discuss publicly, in hopes of getting feedback (moral support or criticism) from readers
But that's assuming there will be readers.

If I can post as frequently and as interestingly as Gil Student or James Lileks, who in my opinion are the gold standard in Jewish and non-Jewish blogging, respectively, then I will be quite happy. And I probably won't worry too much about readership.

1 comment:

Larry Lennhoff said...

If you're concerned about readers, it might help if you let their comments get through. :>) I left a comment to your first post - it still hasn't cleared moderation AFAICT.